‘Gourmet’ bottled water declared unfit for human consumption by Pakistan water research council

Gourmet is without any doubt one of the biggest local companies in Pakistan providing food, baked goods, sweets, water, fizzy drinks, and more.

The company is especially active in Lahore with several of their bakeries spread across the city. They’re bottled water is also quite popular in Lahore.

But now, the Pakistan Council of Research for Water Resources (PCRWR) has declared ‘Gourmet’ and four other bottled water brands unfit for human consumption.

According to PCRWR, these bottled water may contain microbiological contaminations which can cause diarrhea, dysentery, typhoid, hepatitis, and more.

The PCRWR released a public awareness statement on Monday which revealed the list of the brands. These brands are:

  • Gourmet
  • Aqua Super Life
  • Shiraz
  • Aqua Splash
  • Marina Drinking water

The official statement of PCRWR

The statement released by the Pakistan Council of Research for Water Resources can be read below:

The poor quality of drinking water has forced a large cross-section of citizens to buy bottled water.

As a consequence of this expanding market, a mushroom growth of bottled water industry in the country is witnessed during the last few years.

However, many of the mineral/bottled water companies were found selling contaminated water. To monitor and improve the quality of bottled water, the Government of Pakistan through Ministry of Science and Technology has designated the task to PCRWR for quarterly monitoring of bottled/mineral water brands and publicize the results.

According to the monitoring report for the quarter from April to June 2018, 85 samples of Mineral/Bottled water brands have been collected from;

  • Islamabad
  • Rawalpindi
  • Peshawar
  • Lahore
  • Bahawalpur
  • Tandojam
  • Quetta
  • Karachi

Comparison of analytical findings with permissible limits of Pakistan Standards & Quality Control Authority (PSQCA) has revealed that 05 brands (i.e Gourmet, Aqua Super Life, Shiraz, Aqua Splash, and Marina) were found to be unsafe due to microbiological contaminations which may cause cholera, diarrhea, dysentery, hepatitis, typhoid etc.

The detailed report can be read here.