Due to 23rd March, Pakistan Day Parade 2018, highways and roads near the parade ground in Islamabad have been shut off and traffic is being diverted.
This has caused significant traffic jams on other roads that connect Islamabad with Rawalpindi causing massive traffic jams. The situation will continue until 23rd of March and if you commute daily from the other side of the Express Way to Islamabad, then you’ll most likely face a lot of traffic jams on the way.
The Islamabad Traffic Police, however, has released a traffic diversion plan for the next three days to help citizens come up with a route best suited to them. The released plan and its rough translation in English can be read below.
Islamabad Traffic Diversion Plan
1. Air traffic in Islamabad will be closed on 19, 21, and 23rd March from 12 AM to 2 PM.
2. Light vehicle traffic coming from Lahore can take the Rawat T section to Rawalpindi Saddar Road and then take Peshawar GT road and Motorway.
3. Traffic from the Airport can take the expressway but will be diverted from Khana Pull to Lehtrar road to reach Captain Naeem Tufail Shaheed Chowk (Tramari Chowk) and then turn left to take Park Road to Rawal Dam Chowk to reach Murree Road in order to reach G sectors of Islamabad or Kashmir Highway. Turning from Kashmir Chowk, the traffic can go to Bara Kahu and Murree.
4. Traffic from Islamabad to Airport and Lahore will use the 9th Avenue to reach Murree road and then take Rawal Road to use Karaal Flyover. The traffic will then turn right from here.
5. Any traffic coming from Motorway can use Kashmir Highway to reach Aabpara, Bara Kahu or Murree.
6. Faizabad will be closed for all kinds of light and heavy traffic. Light traffic, however, will only be shut from 5 AM to 2 PM on 19th, 21st, and 23rd.
7. Express Way will be shut from Khanna Pull to Faizabad from 5 AM to 2 PM on 19th, 21st, and 23rd March except for those who have permission.
8. Faisal Avenue from Zero Point to Faizabad will be shut off for light traffic from 5 AM to 2 PM on 19, 21, and 23rd March except for those who have permission.
9. Muree Road will be shut off from Rawal Dam Chowk to Faizabad from 5 AM to 2 PM on 19, 21, and 23rd March except for those who have permission.